S'mores!

Who says you need a campfire or a fireplace to enjoy s'mores?  S'm... what?  S'mores!  Those campfire favorites American kids enjoy so much.


First time I had this was when we were vacationing in Baguio last December.  Manong Uly, my cousin from Hawaii, had this bright idea of roasting mallows by the fireplace.  I don't remember who seconded the motion, adding that we should make s'mores too.

So we went to the supermarket, got gigantic marshmallows, long sticks, graham crackers and milk chocolate bars.  As soon as we got home, Manong Uly got the fire started and before we knew it, every piece of marshmallow had been roasted, and pressed in between 2 pieces of grahams together with a piece of chocolate!

Everyone loved them, especially we Pinoys.  But I think I had one piece too many.  I never liked marshmallows, but s'mores I loved.  And I believe I had ingested enough marshmallows to make me feel I gulped mouthfuls of air.

I don't think I was able to have dinner that night.  I was so full with the s'mores, I couldn't eat anymore!

But like I said, we here in Manila may not have a fireplace, nor will we be able to sit around a campfire and roast mallows.  But we do have an oven toaster!  So to make some nice s'mores for you and for the kids at home, run to the nearest grocery, get a bag of white, fluffy mallows, a tub of graham crackers and some milk chocolate bars (or a jar of Nutella) and follow these simple steps!
  • Lay graham crackers on the rack/ tray.
  • Spread Nutella on cracker surface and stand a marshmallow on it.
  • Set the oven toaster timer to 3 minutes.  Pop the mallows-on-crackers in the oven toaster and roast till the top is golden and the mallows are all puffed up.  (Be sure to WATCH the mallows so they won't burn!)
  • Spread the other half of the grahams with Nutella and set aside.
  • Take the "roasted" mallows from the toaster and top with the Nutella-spread half of graham crackers.  Press slightly to make the mallows "ooze".
  • Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts