Coffee, Tea, Or Me?

Lately, there has been a mushrooming of tea places all over the Metro.  Hot tea, iced tea, spiced tea, herb tea, infusions... name, they have it!  However, long before this tea-crazy phenomenon began, my friends and I have been tea fans.


No, I am not, nor will I ever renounce my love for the perfect brew (aka coffee).  In fact, I have a tiny collection of coffee from some parts of the Philippines and the world.  And did I mention that I am so infatuated with my sister-in-law's DeLonghi coffee machine?


But then, once upon a time, I likewise kept a stash of different kinds of tea, which I always brewed in a ceramic pot.  My friend Tita Mimi calls this my mangkukulam (witch) concoctions.  And long before people went ga-ga over milk tea, it was a staple for us friends to pour milk and add sugar and spices to black tea.


Yes, friends.  Milk tea is just that--black tea with milk and sugar to taste.  Nothing gourmet about that.  But, to brew a decent cup of tea, one must have good quality tea (I like mine loose.  Tea bags give a weak brew.) and of course, freshly-boiled water.  Steeping tea usually takes 2 to 4 minutes.  If you want a stronger brew, add more leaves, not more time.  Over-brewing can affect the taste of your tea.

Tea steeping guide from Teavana http://bit.ly/LDDMKJ

I brew my tea leaves using a tea ball or tea infuser.  These infusers come in various designs, from the ordinary to the absurd.  But they do the job, nonetheless.


So there.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to brew a good cup of tea.  And you don't need to leave the comforts of home to enjoy it either.

Go ahead.  Brew, sip and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts