The Italian Caffetiera

If ever I would put up my own coffee shop, I would call it The Italian Caffetiera. I like the sound of it, plus it literally means stove top coffee brewer. And since I looooove coffee, I couldn't think of a store name more appropriate than that.

Or better yet, why not just call it The Caffetiera? Or La Caffetiera? Anyway, I plan to sell brewed Batangas coffee (support the local coffee farmers!).

There'd be coffee with suman sa lihiya, coffee with pan de sal and kesong puti, coffee with bibingkang galapong or ensaymada, or coffee with paborita...

My mom used to own a caffetiera. I remember it was aluminum, and just plain. But I guess that's where a caffetiera's charm lies. It's such a simple gadget that doesn't require a rocket scientist to operate.

The caffetiera has three parts: the bottom chamber for the water, the middle filter basket for the ground coffee, and the top chamber where the brewed coffee goes, ready to be served.

The most common question for first time brewers is, "What's the best water - coffee proportion in order to make great-tasting coffee?"

Well, proportion is just one of the factors you need to consider in order to make a good brew. The first thing to do is to make sure you use clean, cold water. Do not start with hot water.

Also, you should see to it that the coffee grounds are ideal for the process you will use. For an espresso machine, you should use finely ground coffee beans. For drip/ coffeemaker, use medium grind. For coffee press/ caffetiera, use coarsely ground coffee.

After brewing, people usually out creamer or milk and sugar in their coffee. Me, I like mine with condensed milk. My friend's dad likes his with Alpine evaporated milk. And believe me, he can tell if the milk is not Alpine.

But whatever you put in your coffee, make sure you put them in the cup first before pouring the coffee, to make sure that your coffee temperature doesn't drop.

But above all the know-how, like any other food you prepare, coffee brewing must be made out of love. Yes, love. That way, the people who will drink your brew will taste not just the hot cup you made, but the warmth that goes with it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Caffetiera? Doesn't tiera sound like earth, like kalan? He he he. Coffee brewed in kalan is aweful! I tried it once because i have used up all our coffee filter papers.
Alma said…
in batangas, especially in the barrios, we "boil" coffee in a large vat. and people just scoop the dark liquid into mugs in the morning. i grew up to that kind of coffee "brewing". =)

Popular Posts