Here Comes the Rain Again

When I was in grade school, I learned that we only have two seasons--wet & dry. The wet season that I knew was from June to August. The rest of the year, the Philippines was supposed to be dry.

But some decades along the way, things have changed. The climate has tremendously changed. It's September, and the rains are still here!

I woke up this morning very, very late. Why? It was too cold to get up! The rains were pounding on my roof (and unfortunately, still leaking through some parts). I was in a rather sour mood, despite today being a holiday. But I had to get up, fix myself something nice to eat (which, hopefully would uplift my spirits) and get to work. (Yep, I gotta go to the office to finish something which my boss needs tomorrow.)

Anyway, I scrounged through the fridge and found 3 pices pan de sal, some butter and apple cinnamon jelly. There were some pichi-pichi left from yesterday, so I thought of a pan de sal-pichi-pichi breakfast with hot kapeng barako. That ought to do the trick.




And it did! The strong coffee gave me a mean kick, and so now I am so awake, I think I can finish the job at hand in half the time. Plus, the bread + kakanin breakfast is so carbo-loaded that I belive I have all the energy I need.

Which now makes me look forward to my lunch--nilagang pata! Steaming nilagang pata, which is so perfect for the stormy weather.




So, I'll see you again, maybe tomorrow. Enjoy my rainy day feast, and hopefully, this could inspire you to think of your very own rainy day comfort food.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, Alma... been reading your entries and i will try your recipes... thanks!!

Your nilagang pata is similar to my husband's comfort food... he loved it with the soup sweetend a bit by saba, camote (I crush one ore two to thicken the soup) and native pechay. Then as sawsawan, we roast eggplants (skin-on) and after peeling, I put soy sauce, a little vinegar and some chopped shallots and chilli.... mmm have to cook this again ...Happy eating!!
Alma said…
hmmm... now i have to try your sawsawan the next time i make nilagang pata.

thanks!

Popular Posts