Cheap Thrills

I’d like to think of myself as being Class C with Class A tastes. My friend Tita Lina puts it another way: it’s like having champagne taste, on a beer budget.

There’s nothing I enjoy the most than great-tasting food. But sometimes, this could cost a lot. Good thing there are treats that I enjoy which do not require much spending. Here’s a rundown of cheap thrills that uhm… thrill me.




Papu’s Siomai in UPLB


At P15 for 3 pieces of siomai, this is cheap! No wonder students flock to this hole-in-the-wall near the UP gate! For a student on a v-e-r-y tight budget, one serving of this, plus a giant-sized serving of rice does the trick.




Isaw at UP Diliman


This isawan is an institution in itself! Need I say more?



7-11 coffee


Fancy some French Vanilla? Or how about a Café Mocha? The 7-11 Coffee from the Hershey’s dispenser is now my favorite, taste-wise and price-wise.



Don Bosco gelato


What could I get if I only had P10 in my pocket? Sorbets ni manong, that’s for sure. But not if I’m inside the Don Bosco campus! Italian gelato ang katapat nito!



Year-round puto bumbong and bibingka at the SIDCOR Sunday Market


Now, I don’t have to wait till December, or go to Bon Apetit or UCC Café to get my favorite kakanin.



Snackaroo Food House in Kamuning


I get my T-bone and porterhouse from this place real cheap. Plus, there’s great music too. All that is enough to make you want to forgive the absence of air-conditioning.



Ruel’s Tuna Slab


A 500-gram tuna slab that is so perfect for sashimi costs much, much less than an order of tuna sashimi in the cheapest Japanese resto. Ruel, when’s your next shipment coming?



LB Square


I love going out with friends. But, that could be very harsh on our pockets. So, when we were in UPLB, I took them to LB Square. It’s like their own little “Eastwood”, complete with food, music and drinks… on a student budget. We had a few drinks, and some sisig, and had a really great time. And when the bill came, we ended up paying P67 each. Beat that!



Turon at Don Bosco Makati


This one, I really miss. The store used to be near the entrance of the mortuary. But now, I don’t know where they went. Anybody who can give me a lead?



That authentic Macau karinderya in Pasay where my friend Paulo took me to


I cannot remember the name, but I remember the taste and the smell very well. It’s located somewhere between the old Nayong Pilipino and the NAIA Centennial Airport, near the Our Lady of the Airways church. Hupaw, kelan mo ako ililibre ulit dun?!

Comments

Popular Posts