Kicksology

When I was in grade school, I used to hate my shoes. Why? Because it felt like I’ve had them forever! They were good leather shoes. In fact, so good that they refused to die!

The heels and the soles would get worn out, but the leather uppers just wouldn’t give in. So what my dad did was take them to the shoe repair shop and have the soles and heels replaced—for 3 straight years!

Sneakers were just as sturdy. Although we got the cheap brands from Zenco Footstep, these sneakers seemed somewhat blessed with immortality. While my classmates changed their sneakers every year, mine stayed on until my toes curled up inside the shoe.

High school was just as bad. My dad decided to get me expensive leather mary janes with rubber soles in my freshman year. Little did I know that I would use them until I graduated.

And so, as soon as I was able to buy my own shoes, I bought them like I had more than 1 pair of feet. Name it, I had it—red shoes, blue shoes, grey shoes, brown shoes, high cut shoes, shoes with high heels, strappy shoes, flat shoes, running shoes, basketball shoes (I used to play, okay?), sneakers, hiking boots…

It’s my guess that shoes were what my “inner child” craved.

Today, however, I feel guilty for having too many of each kind when I know that there are people out there who do not even have feet. Whenever possible, I “retire” my old but still usable shoes by sending them to the province where some kids can still wear them to school. (Yes, kids. I have small feet.)

I no longer crave for shoes. However, what I do crave for is the adobo or ginatang “adidas” my mom used to make. For those who are uneducated, “adidas” is street lingo for chicken feet. They sell at about less than P100 per kilo, and is the same chicken feet found on dimsum carts both in esteros and in fancy Chinese restaurants.


As a tribute to one of my favorite, favorite dimsum items on the menu, I want to share with you this recipe:



Delicious Chicken Feet

Ingredients

  • 12 chicken feet, declawed and skinned
  • 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine
  • 3 slices ginger
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • star anise
  • 1 piece orange rind
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pint water


Directions

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Comments

Popular Posts