Giddy!

While checking my e-mails this morning, I was surprised to receive a reply from Mr. Sammy, the owner of Saramsam Resto in Laoag City.


Of course, I was thrilled! No, I didn't win a year-round free meal gift certificate in their restaurant. I got giddy because he shared a recipe with me!

I think Mr. Sammy was pleased about the nice things I said about Poque-poque (see Northern Exposure). And I'm glad. Because I couldn't wait to try the recipe!

So today, I will buy eggplants and make some. I'll take a picture of my version and post it here, I promise. In the meantime, I will share the e-mail (and the recipe, of course) with all of you. So we can all have a taste of Ilocandia this weekend.

Hello Alma,

Thank you very much for the blog. I am very sorry for not responding sooner. It is fiesta time in Laoag. So many activities I am involved in.

Below is the basic recipe for poque-poque or p**i-p**i. The latter being the original word but I changed it to the former to make it audibly palatable hehehe. It is a very simple dish just like most Ilocano dishes. It is a cross between torta and salad.

Ingredients:

2 pcs medium- size eggplant, grilled.
1 egg scrambled with pinch of salt
4 small tomatoes coarsely chopped
2 green onions (lasona) chopped - separate bulb from leaves.
oil for sauteeing
salt
pepper

Remove charred skin from eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, sprinkle salt, set aside.
Heat oil, sautee chopped onion (bulb part), eggplant then egg - 15 second succession. Add a pinch of salt (to taste) and pepper and it is done!!. See how simple. Don't overcook. Remember it is almost a salad. So the onion and the tomatoes should still be crisp. Plate the dish and sprinkle the finely chopped lasona leaves. Bon Appetit!!!

Variation: Chopped bell pepper can be added. Cilantro instead of lasona. Some people put garlic. I don't like it. It makes the taste muddled. The egg can also be put in directly instead of scrambling it.

Enjoy cooking!!! and eating of course. Mangantayon Apo!!!

Cheers!!

Sammy



Agyaman-ak, Mr. Sammy! God bless you! And next time I pass through Laoag, I will visit your nice restaurant again.

P.S. Here is my version of Poque-poque, which I had for lunch today (Sunday, February 7), together with tinapa (smoked fish) and hot rice. I followed Mr. Sammy's recipe to the letter. I may have put too much tomatoes, though, but it was okay. Also, I used the skinny native eggplants, not the ones you buy from the grocery. The native ones have a stronger flavor than the grocery eggplants.


And while buying the veggies from the Tandang Sora market, I met an old lady who owns a nearby stall. She's Ilocana, so I'm making her one of my official "consultants" on Ilocano cuisine. For starters, I asked her how saluyot is prepared. I'm gonna try that next time!

Comments

Uly B said…
Hey Alma, let me know how it turns out. Next time we go there, I'll pick a few Basi. It forgot to pick some up while in Ilocos. Bon apetit. Uly
Alma said…
Sure, Manong Uly.

Hey, why don't you try making this back there? I'm sure our Ilocano relatives will appreciate this.

Popular Posts