What To Do With A Bushel Of Tomatoes

Last week, someone gave me a pail-ful of tomatoes. They were still unripe when I got them, but since I was out of town over the weekend, they turned deep red in my absence.

So I was contemplating on what to do with them when I saw a recipe for Pico de Gallo. Pico de Gallo is none other than fresh salsa. And since I planned to laze around and watch some movies tonight, I decided to check my supplies, and then run to the grocery for some last minute shopping.



I didn't make mine fresh, though. But just the same, it tasted great! Here's my recipe:

  • about half a kilo of fresh red tomatoes, diced
  • a bundle of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 1/2 pcs large onions
  • 2 green bell peppers (I couldn't find chiles in the neighborhood store so I had to make do with this one)
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp chili con carne seasoning
  • a pinch of chili flakes (to make up for the non-existent chiles)
I just placed everything in my rice cooker, simmered it for a few minutes and then turned the cooker off. That was it!

Tomorrow, I'll try to add a dash of cumin powder and see how it goes. But for now, I am enjoying it. I hope you do too!

Comments

Popular Posts