Love Language

In one of my recent entries, I mentioned that I haven’t been posting regularly for the past few months. And that got me thinking. And watching Julie & Julia a second time.

What can I say? I’m so fond of the movie, I am utterly in love with Julia Child, and food just happens to be one of my passions! I mean, food for me is not just a source of sustenance. For me, food is a love language. My love language!

Somehow, I couldn’t explain the joy I feel whenever people rave about the dishes I make. Sometimes, they don’t even have to rave. They don’t even have to say anything. Just seeing how much they enjoy eating the food I prepare is more than bliss! I get high whenever I find empty platters or bowls that look like they’ve been licked clean by the house cat.

Why? Because it sends me this signal—that they love what I made. And since for me, cooking is an expression of love, it’s like having people tell me that they love me back.

Oh, I can remember a time when after preparing a nice breakfast, my siblings would get up late and just rush out of the house to go to school without eating anything of the breakfast I made. I vowed never to cook again after that. But I couldn’t. For one, I was studying Nutrition and Dietetics in college. There was a lot of cooking involved there.

And so I promised not to cook breakfast instead. And devote my time in preparing a nice dinner for the four of us to enjoy. That made me happy again.

And now I miss cooking for others. Most of the time, I cook for myself. Because I live alone. But that won’t be true anymore. In a couple of months (or maybe less), I will be living in a house with at least 10 other people at any given time. And I would cook for them.

But what shall I cook? Something familiar like Menudo or Afritada? Or a fancy fare like Cabbage Rolls or Stuffed Chicken or Morconitos? I don’t know yet. Maybe tomorrow I’ll think of something. Or dream of a nice dish tonight.

Whatever it might be, I want it to be perfect. It might just break the ice for us. And (hopefully) pave the way for new and meaningful friendships.

Comments

Popular Posts