Ongpin on the Year of the Water Dragon

In my lifetime, this is only the second time that I've been to the Chinese New Year celebration in Manila Chinatown.  And like a kid, I was really excited to go!  My sister Mia, my nephews Christian and Gian and my niece Lily Anne came with me.  The kiddos were all first-timers, so my sister & I wanted to make the trip memorable for them.

To begin our journey, we boarded the train to Recto, the university belt of Manila.  The train ride took less than 20 minutes.  At the Recto station, we took a jeepney to Reina Regente Street, where we got on a kalesa!  It was the kiddos' dream to ride the kalesa, and this Chinatown trip was the perfect time for a kalesa ride.

Gian Yash took over the kutsero
Manong Kutsero dropped us off at the Binondo Church, and from there we could hear the beating of the drums and cymbals.  Dragon dance!  We hurried towards Ongpin, and true enough, the drummers, the two lions and the dragon were waiting for their cue by the welcome arc.


But because of the spectators who were on "peechur, peechur" mode, we got tired of waiting for the parade to begin.  So we decided to move on.

And we were not disappointed!  

Initial encounter with the dragon
After buying goodies from Salazar Bakery, we suddenly felt hungry, so we went through a side street in search of f-o-o-d!  And our feet (and tummies) led us to this alley.


Quick Snack was packed!  Well new year or no new year, it always was, so we just went for it.  We ordered Crispy Noodles, Pancit Bihon, Oyster Cake and Nilasing na Hipon... and stepped out of the restaurant happy!  How happy?  See for yourself...


After burping endlessly because of our "happy meal", we heard the familiar banging of the drums a few meters from Quick Snack, so we checked it out.  And like a superb ending to a wonderful beginning, we were able to capture the Dragon Dance in its entirety.

As you watch the next two videos, let it be known that I will be searching for the Oyster Cake recipe in honor of the year of the Water Dragon.  I don't know if feng shui experts will find any good vibes in that.  But as far as I know, it will make me extremely happy to be able to make the dish in my kitchen.

Kung hei fat choi!  Till next year (February 10, to be exact!).


Comments

Ishigami said…
too bad i missed this one . . .

Popular Posts