My Life for the Last Two Weeks

For the past 2 weeks, we have been cooped up in a house where the only thing we are to do is do the layout of a new book.  It has been a couple of weeks of sitting in front of the computer.  The only time we ever stand up, aside from bathroom breaks, is when the dining table is set.  So much for my ideal body weight goal...

And once the dining table is set, I always have this feeling of wanting to eat everything!  That's because Tita Zeny, the owner of the house and our editor-in-chief, is a superb cook.

She's fed us Pochero with a side dish of mashed eggplant, fried pla-pla with boiled okra and talong, melt-in-your-mouth adobo, and tons of super salads, to name a few.  And no matter how simple a dish may be, I always feel that we're dining at Cafe Adriatico or Abe (plugging!).

You don't believe me?  Get a load of this...

Super Kani Salad

Sago with Coconut Cream & Muscovado Syrup

Twice-cooked Chicken with Potatoes in Mushroom Sauce
This morning, she fed us with a special breakfast.  We do not know what it's called, so I decided to christen it.

It's basically baked bread pudding/ french toast with a layer of apples sauteed in butter and sugar.  The way she prepared was really simple, no measurements, just tantsa-tantsa (to taste).  But the way it looked, and tasted... parang galing sa restawran!  You be the judge!

I christen thee Creamy Baked Apple Pudding!

I asked her for the recipe, and while we were eating, she gave me a quick rundown of the procedure:

Peel apples and slice them thinly.  If the the apples are too sweet, sprinkle calamansi over them to make them tart.  Melt butter and saute the apples, then add sugar to taste.  Add all purpose cream, stir a few times then remove from heat.

Spread the apple-cream mixture evenly in an oven-proof baking dish.  Get some sliced bread and place as a single layer over the first layer.  Beat 8 whole eggs and pour over the bread layer.  Slip into a moderate oven and bake till the top layer is set.  Serve with bacon.

I still imagine this cloud-like concoction.  I'll make some for my pamagkins when I visit them again.  In the meantime, back to the salt mines.

Comments

Popular Posts