MY IBW CRUSADE (One Day At A Time)

I am on a crusade. A very personal crusade. Although I haven't been posting religiously for the past few months, I have, in fact, been busy in front of the stove. For starters, friends have gifted me with all sorts of condiments to use in my cooking. It would be such a waste not to use them! Thus the Nyonya Fried Rice (using belacan from Tita Mimi). And the Steamed Okra with Cincalok Dip (featuring the Cincalok, also from Tita Mimi). And the Chicken & Shrimp Tom Yum (of course, tom yum cubes from Tita Mimi pa rin!) And the Chicken Asado (using the soy sauce from Tito Alvin).

Nyonya Fried Rice

Chicken & Shrimp Tom Yum
Chicken Asado
Steamed Okra with Cincalok Dip

Which brings me now to my present predicament. I know mustn't stop cooking, and yet I gotta lose weight! Yes, all those cooking has taken its toll. Not that I eat everything alone. But I do end up eating so much! What can I do? Masarap kumain, eh!

And so, beginning today, the 31st of January 2011, I am doing something about it. I have been substituting breakfasts with banana-based smoothies for the past 2 days. Last night, I decided to start substituting dinner with a fruit-veggie shake.

I even went through all the trouble of computing for my dietary prescription (thanks, Banine, for refreshing my memory!) and making a weekly menu, just so I could lose 1 pound per week (safest and most acceptable!). Long story short, my goal is to reach my IBW, my ideal body weight, by the time my next birthday comes. Of course, I need to exercise also, but that's another story.

Why am I disclosing all this? Wala lang, I just want to be accountable to those who read my blog, even if some may not care.

So, while enjoying my dinner of Watermelon-Ginger Cooler, I write this blog. And share both weight-gain and weight-loss recipes.

Argh! Brain freeze!

Nyonya Fried Rice

4 bowls of leftover steamed rice
1 tbsp roasted belacan
2 red chillies, chopped or 2 pinches of chili flakes
1 cup mixed beans (I use chopped Baguio beans)
100 gms chicken meat, diced
100 gms shrimps
2 tbsps deep fried shrimps
2 eggs


1. Heat 2 tbsps oil in wok. stir fry belacan and chillies until fragrant.
2. Stir fry until the chicken and shrimps are cooked. Add eggs.
3. Stir fry until eggs are done. put the rice in.
4. Add a little salt and stir fry evenly.
5. Stir in mixed beans and serve hot.

*In my version, I didn't put any meat, just egg that I scrambled and used as garnish.

Steamed Okra with Cincalok Dip

The original recipe came from Sylvia Tan, author of seven cookbooks, a newspaper food columnist and a sought after speaker on Singapore food heritage. She is also regularly invited to do cooking demonstrations on Singapore and Peranakan food.

2 tablespoons cincalok (salted shrimp fry)
2-3 shallots – peeled and thinly sliced
1-2 red chillies, sliced, or chilli flakes, depending on how hot you want it to be
1 small tub of yoghurt (didn't have yogurt when I first made this, so I didn't use any)
Sugar to taste (I had no sugar so I used honey)
steamed ladies fingers or okra

1. Mix together dip ingredients, leaving aside some sliced chillies for garnish. Adjust seasoning
according to taste. It should be salty, sweet and slightly tart.
2. If ladies fingers are small, leave it whole, otherwise cut into two or three. Bring a pot of water to
boil and scald the vegetable till you can poke it through easily with a fork. Dunk in cold water to
stop the cooking process and to retain the bright green colour. You can do this beforehand.
3. Serve the dip in a bowl placed on a plate surrounded by the boiled ladies fingers.

*People might ask me where they could get belacan and cincalok here in Manila. Truth is, I don't know. So if there are people out there who do, just feel free to comment. Thanks!

Banana Chocolate Smoothie

1 banana, cut into rings and frozen
3 tbsp non-fat milk, dissolved in 1 cup water
1 pouch Milo 3-in-1

Put everything in a blender. Whirl until smooth. Pour into a glass, stick a straw in it and enjoy!

Watermelon-Ginger Cooler

seedless watermelon, sliced and frozen
2 tsps salabat (ginger ale) powder
½ cup ice water

Combine everything in a blender. Pulse until watermelon breaks up. Blend until smooth. Add ice water if shake is too thick. Pour into a tall glass.

Comments

JGM Alvarez said…
Go Moy! You can do it!
momoy said…
thanks, bro! excercise na lang ang kulang! i will get to that.
Unknown said…
ate alma!! sali din po ako.. hehehe! i need a blender pa.. gift naman diyan.. hehehe! :) i remember that watermelon ginger from our lunch in Abe'.. i tried that at home.. yum-yum!:)
Alma said…
yes, amor! actually, you inspired me to re-create the watermelon ginger cooler =) ngayon, super-favorite ko na sya! thanks for visiting!

see you soon!

Popular Posts