Chinatown Walk

Last Thursday, I went to Divisoria.  Instead of taking the train to Recto, I took my usual route: FX ride to Quiapo, then walk to Sta. Cruz Church, cross to Ongpin and walk all the way to Binondo Church, and finally traverse the stretch of Juan Luna street.  Except for the FX ride, I walked ALL the way.

My friends find my addiction to walking quite crazy.  But what can I do?  I love to walk!  Walking gives me an up close view of everything.  Besides, I got to visit three churches that day, in less than an hour!

Aside from the church visits, I also love to look at the various items being sold along Villalobos Street.  But on that day, I was looking for just one particular item: broccoli leaves or gai lan.

I found some along Carlos Palanca Street, near the Excelente Ham store.  And then I proceeded to Plaza Sta. Cruz, crossed the street towards Ongpin (after I visited the Sta. Cruz Church) and walked leisurely through the Chinatown street.


I kept on walking, while trying hard to ignore Salazar Bakery and Eng Bee Tin.  But how could you ignore the purple fire trucks in front of the famous hopiang ube house?  But no, I pressed on, went inside the Binondo Church to say hello to San Lorenzo Ruiz and crossed Veronica Street towards Juan Luna.

But I'm not here to brag about my walk-a-thon.  What I really want to share is the recipe of one of my favorite Chinese dishes—Beef in Oyster Sauce.

And to complete the journey to this mouth-watering dish, my housemates and I went to the SIDCOR Sunday Market this morning at the parking lot of the Lung Center of the Philippines to buy Batangas beef.  I found my nice sirloin, which I swear still smelled milky when I got home.

The finished product?  Here it is.  Feast your eyes!  



And of course, to satisfy your stomach, I will share the recipe!

Beef in Oyster Sauce
  • cooking oil
  • 1 white onion, sliced
  • 250 grams sirloin, pounded and cut into strips
  • 1 pouch Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 bundles gai lan, sliced 
  • 2 tsp cornstarch, dispersed in 1/4 cup water
Heat oil over medium heat and saute onions until transparent.  Add beef strips, stir until color changes.  Cover and reduce heat.  Cook for about 15 minutes.  Add oyster sauce and water; let simmer for about 2 minutes.  Add gai lan, cover to cook leaves.  Once leaves wilt, add cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.  Serve with Yang Chow Fried Rice.

Yang Chow Fried Rice


  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 egg, scrambled, fried and sliced
  • 3 to 4 cups leftover rice
  • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
Heat oil and add rice.  Toss the rice in oil and season with salt.  Continue to toss for about 15 minutes, then add mixed vegetables.  Toss some more then add egg.  After the final 5 tosses, serve on a platter.  

If you have leftover ham or chinese sausages or any meat or dried fish, just add them to the rice mixture for added flavor and color.

Man man chi!

Comments

Popular Posts