Pahiyas Festival--A Dream Come True!

For so many years now, I had been planning to go to the Pahiyas Festival in Lucban, Quezon. And every year, I condition myself that I would be going. But each year, I end up not going at all. I can't remember the reason why I plan and end up not going to the Pahiyas. I thought the closest I would get to it was when we went to the Kamay ni Hesus, and made a side trip to Lucban on the day before the Festival.

But then, why would I be eager to go in the first place? What is it about the fiesta that draws me to make preparations? I guess it's the color that surrounds the Pahiyas that attracted me in the first place. Basta, as far as I can remember, I had to see it. I just had to!

And this year, I was finally able to go! My office friends and I made elaborate plans and arrangements on accommodations and whatnot. And so, on May 14, after quitting time at the office, off we went to Quezon.

And you know what? I was not disappointed! Everything that I've heard and read, and all the pictures I've seen are what I experienced when we were there.

The Pahiyas Festival is the feast day of San Isidro Labrador, the patron saint of farmers. According to PahiyasFestival.com, "oral and recorded history of Lucban says the feast of St. isidore was observed by the native Tagalogs who used to settle at the foot of Mt. Banahaw during the early Christianization of the natives of Lucban, Tayabas circa 1500. Then known as Maluban of Columban, the whole community of Lucban conducted a simple celebration as a form of thanksgiving to the anitos (gods) for the good harvest of farm products such as palay, vegetables, fruit and fish."



Of course, what's a fiesta without the food? And so I kept my eyes open for culinary treats that I could take home or at least ask for the recipe of the dish. And you know what? I did find someting interesting (which I will tell you in my next blog).

For now, I'd like to share a recipe for Lucban Longganisa on Pasta. Of course, what's a trip to Lucban without buying Lucban longganisa. But I didn't want to just fry the sausage and eat it with sinangag and fried egg. I wanted to do something different with this flavorful longganisa. So why not put it in pasta?

First, boil 5 pieces longganisa in half cup water. Don't forget to pierce the casing with a fork. After the water has dried up and the oil rendered, cut up and brown the longganisa in its own oil.

Add 2 tomatoes that have been seeded and diced. Stir-fry a little and then toss 1 1/2 cup cooked pasta (penne, macaroni, fettucini or spaghetti may be used). Do not add oil anymore. Add a pinch each of salt, pepper and chili flakes.

Toss some more, place on a serving platter and top with kesong puti if desired. Serve with garlic bread.



Comments

Mimi said…
loveeeet alma... more, more, more!

Popular Posts